Greens & Grains Lactation Salad Recipe
It’s no secret that new mommas need a lot of extra nutrients. As parents, it’s our job to provide our babies with all the nutrients they need to grow. In the first few months of life, we are their one and only source of nutrition — so in order to provide them with the best; we need to give ourselves the best.
Our amazing Greens & Grains Lactation Salad is packed with exactly that — nutrients and amazing flavor. Spinach provides fiber and iron, quinoa provides protein, and red rice adds antioxidants and phyto-chemicals. This salad is topped off with oranges, dried apricots, and pistachios, which gives it a richer nutrient profile and brighter flavor. We are certain that you will love this salad as much as we do!
Greens & Grains Lactation Salad
For the Grains:
- 1 cup quinoa (150g)
- 1 cup Camargue red rice (use brown rice if you can’t find red rice at your local health market) (160g)
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (130g)
- Pink Himalayan sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
For the Dressing:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest (from one orange)
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (from one orange)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
For the Fresh Components:
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced into quarters (100g)
- 1 orange, supremed (70g)
- 1 cup roasted pistachios, chopped (130g)
- 4 green onions, greens only, finely chopped
- 2 cups spinach (50g)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bring 2 medium saucepans of salted water to a boil.
- Cook quinoa and red (or brown) rice in separate pots, according to package directions.
- Once the grains are cooked, drain them and spread them out on baking sheets to cool.
- Roast the pistachios in the oven for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, garlic and the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, rice, onion, apricots, supremed oranges, pistachios, green onions, and spinach. Toss well.