Oat, Pecan, & Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Finding a balance between eating healthy and indulging occasionally is a real art. We want to give our bodies the best, most nutritious foods possible – and we want to teach our children how to do the same. However, sometimes we just want a damn cookie.
Our oat, pecan, and chocolate chip cookies can satisfy the most intense cookie cravings. It offers chewiness, crunchiness, nuttiness, and maple-y sweetness. We’ve kept the sugar content fairly low in this recipe by using maple syrup as the sweetener. We also used a mix of whole wheat and coconut flour, but you can make it gluten-free by substituting your favorite GF blend.
Feel free to get creative with your mix-ins, too. We used dairy-free chocolate chips and chopped dates, but you can add in any other chocolate-y mix-in or dried fruit. Whatever you choose, they’re bound to be utterly delicious.
Oat, Pecan, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8 ounces pecans
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 4 large dates, chopped
- To toast your pecans, toss them into a medium non-stick saute pan and saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly until they are lightly browned and fragrant.
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees.
- In a food processor, combine toasted pecans and 1 cup of oats.* Pulse until the pecans and oats are mostly finely ground, with a little bit of texture remaining.
- Transfer the ground pecans and oats into a bowl. Add in the remaining oats, maple syrup, whole wheat flour, coconut oil, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Gently fold in mini chocolate chips and chopped dates.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop the dough into 1-inch balls and place onto a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
*For a less textured cookie, you can blend all the oats instead of just one cup.