Instant Pot Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe
This cheese cause It can be used as a dip for veggies, a sauce for Mac n’ Cheese, a nacho-cheese chip dip, or as a topping on Taco Tuesday. Whichever you choose, it won’t disappoint.
If the moon was made of cheese, we would eat it. But for vegans, babies with dairy allergies, or those on a low-dairy diet, nutritional yeast is your best friend. What is nutritional yeast, you may ask? Nutritional yeast, AKA, nature’s Cheeto powder, is actually a deactivated yeast that is sold in the form of flakes or powder. It’s an amazing source of B-vitamins and protein, especially B-12 which is important for brain health! In fact, nutritional yeast is a complete protein. This means it contains all of the amino acids a body needs but cannot produce itself. Because it’s a complete source of protein, it’s a favorite amongst those who don’t consume meat or dairy.
Instant Pot Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 of a small onion or 1/4 of a large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup potatoes, peeled and diced (140g)
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and diced (100g)
- 1/4 cup water (60g)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (30g)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Place the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and add onions and olive oil.
- Sauté the onions and olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent, about five minutes.
- Switch the Instant Pot from the sauté setting to STEW setting, and add in potatoes, carrots, water, lemon juice and salt.
- Set the Instant Pot timer to 30 minutes and let the Instant Pot work it’s magic.
- Once the Instant Pot is finished cooking everything, carefully release the lid and remove the contents of the Instant Pot and place into a bowl.
- Allow the cooked items to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a blender.
- Add in nutritional yeast, garlic powder, turmeric and paprika, then blend until the cheese mixture is smooth and creamy. If necessary, use a spatula to scrape the sides of the blender, and blend again until smooth.
- Serve warm with your favorite veggies, on cooked noodles, or as a dip for grilled meats.